In order to prevent electrical fires, you need to know what causes them. 

In this day and age, we depend on electricity for almost every aspect of our lives, but because of this dependence on electricity, electrical fires are incredibly common. The good news is, when you take the right steps, electrical fires are largely preventable. At ElectricMasters, we believe that it’s important for you to understand what can cause electrical fires, and that’s why we went over a few of the most common causes in our last blog. Keep reading to learn more:

#4. Space Heaters

It can be tempting to crank up the space heater when it get’s chilly out, but the fact is that many electrical fires are caused by space heaters every year. Oftentimes, people place their space heaters too close to the combustible surfaces in their homes. Combustible surfaces include beds, curtains, couches, chairs and rugs. If you want to use a space heater, make sure you are following all directions. It’s also wise to use a radiator type space heater, because they have a smaller risk of igniting than coil space heaters.

#5. Light Fixtures With Excessive Wattage

Many people don’t even consider wattage when they purchase lighting appliances, bulbs and lights for their homes, but they should. Using things with a higher wattage than the electrical socket can handle is a common cause of electrical fires. That’s why it’s a good idea to always make sure that the wattage of your lighting devices and light bulbs match the wattage of your electrical socket.

Learn how to prevent electrical fires when you stay tuned for our next blog.