dreamstime_xxl_2533420

Don’t let an electrical fire happen to you!

It’s no secret that an electrical fire can be a devastating thing. Not only could your family be put in danger, but you could also lose your home. Although electrical fires are very common, they are also very preventable. In our last blog series, our electrician in Cincinnati went over a few of the common causes of electrical fires. In this blog series, you’ll learn how to prevent electrical fires. So without further ado, here are a few tips to help you prevent an electrical fire in your home:

#1. Get your electrical wiring inspected. 

If you read our previous blog series, then you already know that old or faulty wiring puts you at a higher risk for electrical fires. If your home has been around for more than 10 years, you should definitely have an electrician inspect your electrical wiring.

#2. Keep combustible materials at a distance. 

If the flammable materials in your home, such as cleaning supplies, blankets, curtains, rugs, etc., are too close to your electrical appliances or outlets, an innocent spark could lead to a devastating fire. Make sure you keep combustible materials away from electrical outlets and appliances.

#3. Don’t misuse extension cords. 

The fact of the matter is that extension cords were never meant to be used permanently, although that is how many people use them today. Only use extension cords on a temporary basis, and always unplug all cords after you are done using them. If you find yourself using extension cords permanently, it’s time to think about installing more outlets in your home.

Learn more tips for preventing electrical fires when you stay tuned for our next blog.